WhiFinCog

For Whittaker-Finch-Cognetti Family & Friends To Blog Till They Can Blog No More!

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

http://whifincog.wordpress.com/

We Have Moved our blog due to BLOGGER Technical Diffculties. Our new blogs address is http://whifincog.wordpress.com/
Please update your bookmarks! We will move all of our blog to the new address very soon.



Meet Terry Smacher and her family
Please list all your family members who currently work for IBM or have retired from IBM, and their years of service.
William Penn Kirk Aten, my grandfather (see picture on left), started with the Clock Recording Company which became IBM and retired after 25 years of service. Grandpa worked in Endicott.

Alfred Calvin Aten, my father, retired after 43 years of service. He started work at IBM at age 17, before World War II. He passed away in December 1989 and was a supplemental employee then. Most of his years were spent working in the Banking Systems. He assembled the machine that sorted checks. Dad worked in Endicott then transferred to Charlotte, NC.

Daniel William Enright, my uncle, he retired with 25+ years. He mostly worked in Owego as an expeditor.

Harold Totten, my uncle, worked in Endicott then transferred to Raleigh. He retired with 30+ years.

Ebert Warren, my uncle, worked in Lexington KY after transferring from somewhere in NY. He worked 30+ years. He was a manager in payroll.

Mario Rossi, my uncle, worked in Endicott for 30+ years before he retired. I am not sure what his job was.

Keith Warren, my cousin, worked in Lexington, KY. He retired after 30 years with the company.
William Warren, my cousin, worked in Lexington, KY. He retired after 30 years of service. He was in the typewriter division.

Kirk Totten, my cousin, worked all over the world. When my father passed away he was the Director of Technology of IBM Korea. He retired with more than 25 years of service. Kirk started in Endicott on the loading dock.

Bonnie Utter, my sister, worked in Endicott 23 years then when Endicott was sold she went to the new company EIT.

I am currently working in Endicott as an assistant, in March of 2007 I will have 30 years of service.

How did the first person in your family get his/her job at IBM? What year was this? What were his/her responsibilities?

My grandfather was the first person in the family to work for IBM. I am not sure what his job was. I know he worked for the clock company which then turned into IBM. Grandpa passed away in 1960. I was only 4 years old.

Tell us your favorite IBM memory.

My favorite IBM memory is going to the Christmas Party at the country club when I was a kid and seeing the presents stacked to the ceiling. Also, the day I was hired my dad was so happy. He actually took a day of vacation because he was so excited for me.



Terry's Aunt and Uncle Wilma and Ebert Warren's 50th Wedding Anniversary left to right: Beulah and Mario Rossi, Wilma Warren, Ebert Warren, Louise Aten, Lois and Harold Totten, Al Aten, Jeanette and Vince Petrolawicz. This is a picture of all but one of my grandfather's children and their spouses.

What has IBM meant to your family?

IBM has been my family. My dad especially loved being able to provide for his family so well because of his job. My dad had a lot of the same principals as Thomas Watson -- if you took care of the employees, the employees would take care of the company.

3 Comments:

Blogger tsmacher said...

You would think they (IBM) would spell my name right.

12/26/2006 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger shee_rah77 said...

IBM

1/02/2007 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger BoNY said...

test

1/08/2007 09:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home